[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwCscientificName: good or bad? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Thu Nov 25 09:11:08 CET 2010

the denormalised single Linnean Rank terms are very, very helpful for sharing occurrence data.
They are the primary means to distinguish between homonyms when only a canonical name is given.
And they are found in many denormalised sources like spreadsheets. No doubt these are needed!

And yes, dwc:genus and dwc:subgenus according to the definition is for the *classification*, not the parsed name (even though this is mostly the same).

As far as I can tell the dwc changes we are discussing are still the same. Either:

 A) add a canonicalName term
or
 B) add an atomised term for genus/uninomial + infrageneric/uninomial

I think both options are a way to go.
A single canonical name if given correctly is very straight forward to parse, so personally I think this is easier than having multiple terms.
For the name part terms I think I would agree with Chuck that a single uninomial can be used for genus or infrageneric ranks.
As a canonical binomial would *not* include a subgenus or section, there is not need to have that parsed information as a term.
In case the scientificname actually IS the subgenus, the uninomial can be used.

Markus