[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwCscientificName: good or bad?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Tue Nov 23 23:32:33 CET 2010

Thanks, Rich...

I'll expand your case (A) a bit:

> A) Representing the canonical (sans-authorship) form of a uninomial name
> at
> a rank not already represented by existing rank-specific DwC terms
> (kingdom,
> phylum, class, order, family, genus)

*** in an efficient manner for bulk data transfer

I.e. a single field canonicalName will then obviate the requirements for multiple fields speciesEpithet, genus, family, order, class, phylum, kingdom which otherwise have to be supplied as "placeholders" for every record in a large set even though only one or two will ever be populated at a given rank

And a comment on your case (B):

> B) ...If they concatenate the authorship string with the taxon name
> string when populating dwc:scientificName, then the consumer has no easy
> way
> of extracting the name bits from the authorship bits

Exactly! Wearing my data consumer hat, the first thing I need to do with current dwc:ScientifiName content from multiple sources is try to generate canonical names by stripping off what appear to be authorities (hopefully successfully but not guaranteed). If there was an extra field populated in all or even a subset of cases, this task would not be required.

So, I think the mnain driver for this has to be from the large scale data consumers - GBIF, OBIS (with which I am associated), EOL, ALA etc. - if they would find such a field useful that is the real test. In my other incarnation as a data supplier, I can concatenate everything into scientificname as per the present DwC spec, no problem, it just is a lossy export when it is received as far as I am concerned.

Regards - Tony