[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwC scientificName: good or bad?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Nov 20 12:04:59 CET 2010

From: "Niels Klazenga" <Niels.Klazenga at rbg.vic.gov.au>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:08 AM

> From the ICBN (Vienna Code):

> 60F.1. All specific and infraspecific epithets should be written
> with an initial lower-case letter.

> Even though this is a recommendation and not an article,
> translating that into yes an epithet may be capitalised,
> it is just not done very often, is a bit of a twist.

***
Well, in the 2000, Saint Louis Code, this read:
"All specific and infraspecific epithets should be written with an initial
lower-case letter, although authors desiring to use initial capital letters
may do so when the epithets are directly derived from the names of
persons (whether actual or mythical), or are vernacular (or non-Latin)
names, or are former generic names."

The change in Vienna Code was made by the Editorial Committee,
on its own authority (that is, it is an "editorial change").

Given that this matter was put to the vote at Saint Louis (1999) with
a 59.25% majority in favour (60% being required for the change) of
requiring a lower-case initial letter, it is reasonable to expect that in
the not too distant future it will become a requirement. For the
moment, it is allowed and I do see it happening, even now, from
time to time. In the literature at large it is much more common.

Paul

>>>  11/20/10 2:01 AM >>>
Actually, yes, in botany a specific or infraspecific epithet
may be capitalized. These days it is rarely done and very
likely it will disallowed within a few decades.

It is very unusual to capitalize an epithet such as affinis;
capitalization is reserved for nouns and names. So, in a
publication dedicated to Sijfert Koorders one may find
names such as Millettia Koordersii, deliberately capitalized.

Paul