[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Inclusion of authorship in DwC scientificName: good or bad?

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Thu Nov 18 23:49:21 CET 2010

Sorry if I wasnt clear, but definitely b)
Not all names can be easily reassembled with just the atoms. Autonyms need a bit of caution, hybrid formulas surely wont fit into the atoms and things like Inula L. (s.str.) or Valeriana officinalis s. str. wont be possible either. dwc:scientificName should be the most complete representation of the full name. The (redundant) atomised parts are a recommended nice to have to avoid any name parsing.

As a consumer this leads to trouble as there is no guarantee that all terms exist. But the same problem exists with all of the ID terms and their verbatim counterpart. Only additional best practice guidelines can make sure we have the most important terms such as taxonRank or taxonomicStatus available.

Markus