[tdwg-content] Background for the Individual class proposal. 3. Should an Individual also be a Collecting Unit? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Mon Nov 15 02:17:30 CET 2010

On 15/11/2010, at 9:22 AM, Kevin Richards wrote:

> allow more flexible use of the DwC terms.  So this is obviously an important requirement.  So my question really is, would it be possible to do both?  I.e. is it possible to have terms that can be defined as having a certain domain, then equivalent terms that are not part of the domain

Technically, this is fairly straightforward: you define the "strict" property to be a subproperty of the "lax" one (I am borrowing the terms "strict" and "lax" from XML schema language). A use of a strict property also counts as a use of the lax one, allowing queries against the lax version to pick up all instances.

With respect to managing the terms, a simple solution is to use the same property names for both versions, but to have separate namespaces (URI prefixes). DwC-strict and DwC-lax can be called different "conformance levels" (borrowing the term from the OWL documentation).

Having this set up you can then discuss and define the DwC vocabulary in its strict sense, in terms of how the vocabulary ideally ought to be used.

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------