[tdwg-content] tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:02:04 CET 2010

OK. I think this makes sense to me.

Seeing how my "jar of semi-identified scunge" example plays now:

Setting: A jar full of stuff collected from a coral reef. In it I can
see larval fish, sphaeromatid isopods, one "Diadema antillarum"
urchin, and a green alga.

"Individual"ization:
1. The record for the jarful of scunge is _not_ eligible to be an "Individual".
2. I can create four additional records, each of which is designated
as "partOf" the jar record, each of which can be an "Individual" with
a higher-level or species-level determination attached to it.

Two years from now, I sort and ID the sphaeromatid isopods and
determine that they are indeed all in the Family Sphaeromatidae, and
split them out to three separate jars, each of which is a different
genus. Each of those jars can be referred to as an "Individual" (one
or more objects from a single taxon collected at a single time/place).
Has the older family-level record now lost its "Individual"ness, now
that it's clear it's a composition of three lower-level taxa? Or does
it still record the correct fact that a group of independently
locomoting bugs from one collecting instance all belonged to the same
family, and hence is still an "Individual" record, indicating that
higher-level taxon group of bugs?

[As a side issue, note that I have IDed them to genus, not species, to
sidestep the debate on the specialness of the species taxon.]

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff
pentcheff at gmail.com