[tdwg-content] taxonomy != identification

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Nov 4 20:35:02 CET 2010

Quick comment:

> How about something like this?  Assign an Individual ID to
> the bird that build the nest which would be an Occurrence
> (documentary evidence of the bird that built it).  Assign
> an Individual ID to the brood-parasitic bird that laid
> the egg in the nest which would also be an Occurrence.
> Use the DwC Resource Relationship terms
> (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#ResourceRelationship)
> to define the parasitism relationship between the two Occurrences.
> This would be a good opportunity for John to demonstrate
> how one does this - I've never been clear exactly how it
> is supposed to work.

I had originally assumed that the objects of interest were the eggs from two
different species of birds, aggregated into a single nest.  If that's the
case, then I think how I described it is appropriate.  But I also think what
Steve describes above is appropriate, if that's a better context for how the
record should be represented.

Aloha,
Rich