[tdwg-content] A question of Ranks [was: Re: tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17]

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 4 04:26:41 CET 2010

No need to explode! Explosions happen in classical logics, but as already a
link from Bob's link shows, paraconsistent
logics<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraconsistent_logic>can deal more
gracefully with inconsistencies. I used to converse with some
paraconsistent people. There's even a handbook on it:
*Handbook of Paraconsistency <http://www.amazon.com/dp/1904987737/>* (Jean-Yves
Béziau <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Yves_B%C3%A9ziau>, Walter
Carnielli <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Carnielli> and Dov
Gabbay<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dov_Gabbay>,
eds). London: King's College, 2007. ISBN
978-1-904987-73-4<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/9781904987734>

Maybe it should be a companion field guide for the next Bioblitz, when
dealing with, well, logical issues in taxonomy ;-)

Bertram

   --

Bertram Ludäscher

Professor of Computer Science

Dept of Computer Science & Genome Center

University of California, Davis

ludaesch at ucdavis.edu / daks.ucdavis.edu

Phone: +1-530-554-1800