[tdwg-content] A question of Ranks [was: Re: tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17]

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 04:15:31 CET 2010

Ah, but here's the rub when it comes to Propositional or First Order Logic:
If there is any assertion of Rich's---or anybody else's---about which you,
Nico C, both agree and disagree, then every assertion whatsoever of yours is
correct.  Now that part, I realize you already accept. The catch is that
every assertion whatsoever of yours is also false.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_explosion
--Bob

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Nico Cellinese <ncellinese at flmnh.ufl.edu>wrote:

> Wonderful to agree and disagree with you, yes indeed, even better with
> *spirit*!
>
> Jon Stewart would be proud of us both.
>

> I went to the rally in DC last Saturday!  We two are indeed sane :-)
>
> As for the utility of ranks -- well, I'm ready to agree to disagree, as
> long
> as we can both acknowledge that lots and lots of existing data "out there"
> are still classified (in a taxonomic sense) against the Linnaean
> nomenclatural system, for which dwc:taxonRank is a relevant (at least)
> attribute.
>

> Indeed! As mentioned in a previous email to you, I  can live (even happy)
> with dwc:taxonRank :-)
>
> Nico (who does not believe in species but thinks only clades are real)
>

> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> Nico Cellinese, Ph.D.
> Assistant Curator, Herbarium & Informatics
> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
>
> Florida Museum of Natural History
> University of Florida
> 354 Dickinson Hall, PO Box 117800
> Gainesville, FL 32611-7800, U.S.A.