[tdwg-content] tdwg-content Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Nov 3 21:27:56 CET 2010

Dean,
I intended to comment on your earlier post but got caught up in other
threads and hadn't yet taken the time.  I know on at least one previous
occasion this issue of mixed aggregations was discussed on the list but
I spent about 15 minutes looking for it in the archives this morning and
couldn't find it.  I remember somebody pointed out some software that
allows places within an image to be demarcated (i.e. call the image an
aggregation and define spots in it as Individuals).   Also, I tried to
handle the issue of tokens (or evidence) that are derived from other
tokens in my paper (see
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/conceptual-scheme-insect.gif for
an example) by using sernec:derivedFrom and sernec:derivativeOccurrence
(see http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/rdf/terms.htm).  But I think my
approach needs to be rethought in the context of separating tokens from
occurrences.  I am very keen to work this out, but I really don't thing
that piling this onto Individual is the way to do it.  I'm in the middle
of running and photographing gels at the moment but look forward to
continuing the discussion on these points at a later time.

Steve

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu