[tdwg-content] Comments on Cam's RDF practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Wed Nov 3 03:17:43 CET 2010

On 29/10/2010, at 12:41 AM, Steve Baskauf wrote:

> I think both dwc:recordedBy for the Occurrence and dcterms:created for some tokens should be provided.  Depending on the situation, they might be different entities (I think John Wieczorek pointed this out in an earlier thread).  dwc:recordedBy is specifically supposed to be a person whereas I think dcterms:creator could be a person or an institution.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile leveraging the FOAF vocabulary (Friend of a Friend). It's mainly meant for social networking, but nevertheless it does contain terms such as Person, Organisation, Group and Project. (Project is interesting - collection activities perhaps are FOAF Projects).

The spec is here: http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/

We can envisage the day where, by following links on taxonomic web pages, you could eventually find an Author's current twitter address, or ask the semantic web "find me all specimens of genus Tandanus collected by teams affiliated with the university of NSW between 2005 and 2007".

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------