[tdwg-content] Taxon and Name

Nico Franz nico.franz at upr.edu
Tue Nov 2 13:18:44 CET 2010

Rich:

    As a matter of clarification, perhaps also to the group - the
"definition" I provided for a taxonomic concept has a bit of a normative
quality (agenda is too grand a word). The thinking behind it is that
concept taxonomy with fairly rapidly dissolve into name taxonomy if the
distinction between acts of authoring (even if congruently), citing, and
identifying to, concepts is not maintained with some consistency.

    Sure, the Catalogue of Life (as just one example) purports to
present some authoritative (mix of) taxonomic view(s). An informal name
on a museum specimen by a late expert of the group probably translates
into a concept in the mind of a student familiar with the group.

    I just think that there's this other taxonomy out there in the
future, where we taxonomists think and act more like we care for others
(incl. computers) to understand our classifications, where the parts
come from, what's congruent and what has changed, how to precisely
reconcile with previous views, etc. And for that future to become more
real, perhaps a high threshold for identifying new concepts (in the
sense of authoring anew [versus citing], not necessarily a new meaning)
is needed.

    In other contexts, possibly including the representation of
identification events in museums, the bar for calling something a
concept need not be that high (informal names, names outside of
publications, local checklists, etc.). In any case, it's a matter of
where one puts the emphasis, and hopefully I've pointed out where I
would set it and why.

Respectfully,

Nico