[tdwg-content] newbie comments on Individual

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Nov 2 09:23:43 CET 2010

Hi Nate,

I agree completely, and yes -- I do think it is relevant.  What we haven't
really discussed in detail on this thread is how you scope an "Individual".
I think the more examples we give for how it's useful to exapnd the concept
of an "Individual" beyond a single organism, and into things like small
groups, large groups, colonies, etc. -- perhaps all the way up to
populations or even taxa -- the better able we'll be to get our collective
heads around things.  I had never previously considered your example of a
group in the living organism sense (evemn though my first job was at a
public aquarium!), so I think this is very useful to toss into the mix.

Aloha,
Rich

  _____