[tdwg-content] Taxon and Name [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Nov 1 18:33:38 CET 2010

Paul, Rich, et al.
I have decided that it was time to face up to trying to understand the
"right side" of that diagram that Rich made a while back, which I tried
to put in readable form at:
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/token-explicit.gif
Up to this point I ignored the right side of the diagram because I
basically am unfamiliar with taxon/name issues.  But I feel that I
should be!  I read through Rich's various emails in the thread, Paul's
email (below), and looked at the Darwin Core Taxon and Identification
class terms and came up with:
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/taxon-diagram1.gif
Please note that this diagram does NOT represent an opinion on my part
but  rather an attempt to summarize what people have said in a graphical
way.

In general, I have come to understand the following:
1. There are taxon concepts, which I guess represents a particular
circumscription of individuals.  The taxon concept is the result of some
kind of rule that allows one to decide whether  particular individuals
should be included in that taxon or not.  The set of all biological
individuals that are included are the actual concept (or maybe not?).
2. There are taxon names, which have been published for the purpose of
identifying taxa.
3. There are taxon name usages, which are a sort of node that connects a
name with a concept.  If I'm getting Rich right, this is the resource to
which dwc:Identifications should be tied.  Rich also suggested that
taxon name usages might be instances of the dwc:Taxon class.
Although these three types of resources aren't all defined as "classes"
in Darwin Core, it seems to me that they are classes in the "RDF sense"
(i.e. that their instances can be typed to them).

In the diagram, I used triangles to indicate 1:many relationships
similar to the way Rich did in his original diagram.  In the DwC term
index, (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm), there seem to be other
entities represented that are like the "acceptedName" (i.e.
originalName, parentName) but I've left them off the diagram for
simplicity and because I don't fully understand them.  Because of the
dual use of the xxxxxxxxID terms, I should clarify their use in the
diagram.  The arrows are used in the way you would use an arrow in an
RDF graph.  The subject is at the tail, the object is at the head and
the predicate is the term beside the arrow.  Where I put an xxxxxxxID
term, I'm using it in a way that the Linked Data world would use
"hasXxxxx".  So the arrow from taxonNameUsage to taxonName asserts the
statement
[taxonNameUsage] hasTaxonName [taxonName]
which I'm guessing is equivalent to
[taxonNameUsage] scientificNameID [taxonName]
Again, I'm not asserting that the xxxxxxID terms mean what I've put on
the diagram.  I'm guessing and asking if that's what they mean.

I've indicated my guess about some of the key properties of each of the
four "classes" (including also Identifications) by arrows pointing away
from the boxes.  In a lot of cases there are both xyz and xyzID terms,
where xyz would be for a string literal and xyzID would be for a GUID
(e.g. URI).  But they would behave the same way, so I only showed the
xyzID version in the diagram.

Here is a use case for me.  I refer to the Gleason and Cronquist key and
the Golden Guide to the Trees to identify a tree that I've documented in
an Occurrence.  identifiedBy would be me.  nameAccordingTo would be a
reference to the Gleason and Cronquist treatment.  namePublishedIn would
be the original publication for the species name.
identificationReferences would be the Golden Guide and the Gleason and
Cronquist key.  If somebody like Pete had created a URI to represent the
concept, I could refer to that using taxonConceptID.  If there weren't
such a URI, I'd just skip making a reference to the concept.  The
identifier for the taxonName could be something like a TSNID and the
taxonName instance could have properties like string values for genus,
species, scientificName, etc.

So is this anything close to reality?
Steve