[tdwg-content] Name is species concept thinking

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 01:55:35 CEST 2010

Hi David,

A while back on Taxacom someone stated that they considered the scientific
name including author is the species concept.

I refer to this mind set as "Name is species concept thinking"

It was in reference to a discussion of whether species concepts were even
needed.

It might be useful to step back a bit an consider all the data sets that
touch on the idea of a species.

This includes: occurrence records, field notes, academic publications.

Many of these do not include the authority information they simply list the
genus and species.

Few of these records are created by someone who has thought about the
conscription of the specific species concept to which they are creating
data.

Many use the name in the key or the name that those around them use, with
little thought as to the original type specimens and original species
description.

The original description for Ochlerotatus triseriatus is about a paragraph
and could have actually been one of about 10 species.

As far as I can tell the original type specimen is missing.

Modeling the relationships between a large number of these data sets as if
they are based on the idea that the data creator actually read the original
species description and thought about the actual species conscription is
inappropriate.

That said modeling relationships between taxonomic publications where the
authors actually read the original species description, reviewed the type
specimens, and thought about the actual species conscription is appropriate.

Also consider that a large proportion of specimens are misidentified, and it
occurs to me that modeling things like species occurrences as if they are *Puma
concolor *(Linnaeus, 1771) sensu stricto is probably not appropriate. At
best they are something like (Felis concolor / Puma concolor) with some
significant level of error.

- Pete

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM, David Remsen (GBIF) <dremsen at gbif.org>wrote:

> Pete -
>
> This statement has been sticking with me since I read it.   It might be me
> but I don't see any relationship between that statement and how this relates
> to taxon concepts.   In a concept-based system you could easily have two
> different maps for Puma concolor.    Whether Felis concolor is included is
> not relevant because nomenclatural synonyms have no bearing on the
> circumscription.  They are both names for the same type.
>
> There may be two different concepts (circumscriptions) published for Aedes
> triseriatus.   It could be quite legit for a different (objective synonym
> only) name like Oclerotatus triseriatus to refer to that same concept.  So
> in that sense,   there is a rationale for different scientific names to be
> able to reference the same concept to meet that requirement of the example
> you cite.   But in zoology these examples aren't even considered different
> names and the rule of priority would prevent truly different (heterotypic
> names) from referring to the same type so the use cases for different
> scientific names being able to refer to a single concept ID are quite
> limited.
>
> Mapping objective (homotypic) synonymy provides the basis for providing a
> single map for those examples you cite but it's not using true concept-based
> principles.
>
> Best,
> David
>

>> Frankly I think it would be an improvement if we could get maps etc that
>> combine Aedes triseriatus / Ochlerotatus triseriatus into one map and Felis
>> concolor and Puma concolor into a different single map. :-)
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>> - Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology