[tdwg-content] Name is species concept thinking

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 13 16:51:40 CEST 2010

It would be immensely useful if someone capable of capturing a clear
and concise summary of this lively discussion in commentary about the
Darwin Core term taxonConceptID on
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/Taxon, which is sadly lacking
in any guidance on the subject.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 3:58 AM, David Remsen (GBIF) <dremsen at gbif.org> wrote:

> Pete - you just summed up much of where I left off in my just-sent post.
> If we can present those curating occurrence records with a comprehensive set
> of relevant concept options, ideally tied to reference publications like
> field guides, etc.,  we can support the use of concept identifiers in those
> records.    That provides the basis for having some idea of the process by
> which they determined what name to use.
> DR
>
> To Paddy et al. I don't know if we really know unless we have some idea of
> the process by which they determined what name to use.
> - Pete
>
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> What you're asking for would certainly be nice!  But I was aiming more for
>> what you described as "an improvement". Baby steps.... :-)
>>
>> Seriously, though -- I agree taxonomists have failed to be sufficiently
>> explicit in their writings over the centuries to provide the raw material
>> for machine-generated reasoning and inferencing through the content of their
>> documents.  However, I'm not so sure they have failed to provide sufficient
>> information to allow for (mostly) reliable and accurate human- (or at least
>> taxonomist-) generated reasoning and inferencing.  That's why I think a key
>> aspect of all of this -- especially for legacy content -- is third-party
>> assertions.  I don't think it's true that "most" species descriptions result
>> in persons 1&2 assinging a given specimen to two separate concepts.  But
>> certainly there are enough to represent a non-trivial problem.
>>
>> Rich

>>> misidentification (e.g., well-known species and/or common