[tdwg-content] Name is species concept thinking

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sun Jun 13 22:57:42 CEST 2010

It would certainly help if we could have the tools/services/content/UIs in
place to allow people who people taxonomically identify occrence records to
point-and-click among the options.  However, we don't need to have that
infrastructure in place to get started.  Whenever I give advice to people
setting up data-gathering protocols involving occurrence records (of any
kind), is to always always always *always* record the field guide or
taxonomic treatment that was use in establishing the identification.  Even
if the person is an expert in the group, and identified it from their brain,
they should still include some sort of published treatment as a "sensu"
reference.  Eventually, these treatments will get plugged into the taxon
concept "matrix", and the identification will have taxon-concept context.

The point is, we don't need to build the tools before people can start
capturing the information.

Rich

  _____