[tdwg-content] Taxon Concept dilemma

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Mon Jul 5 16:48:08 CEST 2010

Actually this sounds a lot similar to ontology evolution best
practices. For example, for OBO ontologies*, changes of a class label
do not trigger an ID change. Changing the class definition (except for
typographical corrections), however, does, even if the label stays the
same. I.e., the ID is for the definition, not the label (term name).
If classes are moved to a different parent, it will trigger an ID
change too because it will inevitably mean a change of the definition.

Just a thought that occurred to me - not sure this is useful here :-)

	-hilmar

(*) I don't know actually whether such ontology engineering best
practices exist for the TDWG ontologies too.

On Jul 5, 2010, at 9:31 AM, David Remsen (GBIF) wrote:

> Is it worth listing properties that do or do not impact the concept
>
> Scientific Name presents as least three cases
>
> 1. The name doesn't change at all but the circumscription does,
> warranting a concept change (a new taxon ID)
>
> If you recall the case of Vireo solitarius I used in the 13 June
> mail,  the same name refers to different circumscriptions.  One method
> for distinguishing these is based on the (to borrow from RIch's
> terminology)  "protonym count" of the material included in the
> circumscription.    There are some problems with this (unintended or
> temporally-based omissions) but it provides one pretty good basis for
> making gross comparisons.
>
> 2. The name changes but this, in itself, does not warrant a concept
> change (a new taxonID) because the circumscription does not change.
>
> When a species is transferred from one genus to another,  there is no
> direct impact on circumscription.  Thus, if two names share a common
> protonymID,  there may not be a need to change the taxon ID.   In this
> case,  we are back to 1 above.
>
> 3. The name changes and this, in itself, requires a new taxonID.
>
> If a taxon is renamed and the new name does not share the same
> protonymID as the previous name, it should be given a new concept
> ID.   There may be exceptions to this (for replacement names perhaps?)
> but surely the rule of priority would only result in this case if the
> circumscription (concept) changed.
>
> Higher taxonomy
>
> Is it generally agreed that higher taxonomy does not, in itself,
> impact the concept (circumscription) and therefore different
> classifications of a taxon are not criteria for a concept identifier
> change?
>
> - David
>

> On Jul 5, 2010, at 3:53 AM, Markus Döring wrote:
>
>> Rich, Kevin
>> as one of the main supporter of the taxonID the final decision what
>> stable piece of information it reflects to me sits with the
>> publisher/author of the data.
>> The problem Kevin describes is very common and comes down to the
>> difficulty to describe what information really is stable in
>> taxonomy. The name may change, the classification, the textual
>> description, the distribution and its probably impossible to
>> automatically tell whether anything significant has changed or if
>> only small "corrections" have been done. Even for humans its a
>> challenge to compare several textual descriptions and decide whether
>> its the same thing or not. I guess this is where some people see the
>> conceptID to come into play to give some long term stability - but I
>> still dont see much gain in another ID if you cannot tell what
>> pieces of the information behind that ID is stable over time. I
>> still believe with scientificNameID and taxonID we are well equipped
>> to deal with our data. I tend to think someone who publishes the
>> data should have a good thought about how they assign and change
> [...]

: Hilmar Lapp  -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :