[tdwg-content] Fwd: Taxon Concept dilemma

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Jul 7 16:28:49 CEST 2010

Hi Mark,

I agree with everything you say (which is why I think that essentially
everything related to "taxa" should be represented through Usage Instances).
I also agree that taxonomists do not often articulate the scope of their
taxon concepts by enumerating the included organisms. However, I would argue
that when most (all?) taxonomists conceive of a taxon concept, the "essence"
of the concept is the set of organisms implied to be circumscribed by it.
Thus, there is an historical disconnect between what a taxonomist means by a
taxon concept, and how a taxonomist articulates the scope of that concept.
And therein lies what I think is the biggest biodiversity informatics
challenge.  That is, one of the most fundamental units of biology has a
history of being very imprecisely defined by the practitioners who establish
those units.

Aloha,
Rich