[tdwg-content] Fwd: Taxon Concept dilemma

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 12:07:04 CEST 2010

I think it might be useful to think of the species concept as separate from
associated phylogenetic hypotheses.

Human's assert that a given species has a particular phylogeny - it does not
define the species concept.

The species concept should be defined by a collection of individuals,
specific characters and perhaps a database of DNA sequences that help
characterize the variation within the individual's that are instances of the
species concept.

The species concept should be documented with open, web accessible
descriptions that allow humans and machines to determine what species
concept is the best match for a particular specimen.

Since the current scientific name entails a particular phylogenetic
hypothesis, a resolvable taxon concept identifier is needed to help clarify
what the human specimen identifier actually meant when they identified a
particular specimen.

The species concept documents should be "testable".

These species concept documents include the names that have been associated
with a particular concept, but the names themselves do not define the
species concept. This means that a new phylogenetic hypothesis will usually
not change the species concept identifier.

Without some open resolvable species concept document, various attempts to
map name usage will still leave considerable ambiguity as to what particular
species concept is most appropriate for a particular specimen.

The current problems are the result of the co-mingling of phylogeny and
species definition in the form of the genus and specific epithet, the fact
that current species descriptions are often interpreted by different people
in different ways, and inaccessibility of many species descriptions.

I think that something along the lines of what I have proposed would solve
many of these problems.

Respectfully,

- Pete

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I agree with everything you say (which is why I think that essentially
> everything related to "taxa" should be represented through Usage
> Instances).
> I also agree that taxonomists do not often articulate the scope of their
> taxon concepts by enumerating the included organisms. However, I would
> argue
> that when most (all?) taxonomists conceive of a taxon concept, the
> "essence"
> of the concept is the set of organisms implied to be circumscribed by it.
> Thus, there is an historical disconnect between what a taxonomist means by
> taxon concept, and how a taxonomist articulates the scope of that concept.
> And therein lies what I think is the biggest biodiversity informatics
> challenge.  That is, one of the most fundamental units of biology has a
> history of being very imprecisely defined by the practitioners who
> establish
> those units.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich