[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] character encodings

Richardson, Ben Ben.Richardson at dec.wa.gov.au
Mon Jan 11 03:27:39 CET 2010

Hi TAGgers

My recommendation is to always define the character set explicitly in the <head> of the HTML document. This avoids many of the problems. This article is probably the bible on character sets and their correct usage, including in HTML: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html.

Once this is sorted out, either:

a. Use UTF-8 as the character set and supply characters as-is, e.g. using the actual character code point for u-umlaut in the document as required.

b. (If item a above fails.) Use HTML entities whenever an 8-bit character is required, e.g. the text "&uuml;" in place of the actual character code point for u-umlaut.

I have found that, in practice, item a is really only possible if you're able to control the character set of each part of your software stack, e.g. the text editor used by someone sending you an XML file, the parser you use to parse the XML file, the database connection and client you use to place that data into a database, the database connection and client you use to read data from the database, the Content-Type emitted by the server and/or by your web pages when requested by a user's web browser, and finally the user's web browser, which if old enough, might not handle UTF-8 data properly despite all your effort.

My recommendation here is to code for the future, as old browsers get replaced reasonably quickly.

Cheers,
Ben