[tdwg-content] Proposal to create a new DwC term for the class Individual

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Fri Jan 22 12:51:23 CET 2010

Steve,
a very reasonable addition to DarwinCore indeed. But I tend to agree with John that we should first tackle this in the ontology development which is taking place right now mainly driven by Roger and Dave. Classes in DwC were created in a slightly ad hoc fashion based on what data we were already exchanging - primarily occurrences and taxonomic. So they are not covering all needs. But instead of quickly adding more classes one by one I would hope to get a better overview of required classes first. The current refactoring of the ontology is a perfect oppertunity for this. With the ontology developing we also need to make sure how to synchronise it with DwC terms. I can imagine that it turns out best to add new ontology classes and even properties to DwC once we found them to be stable and agreed. I guess all Im saying is with DwC moving forward a lot last year and now being ratified I prefer to give it a rest and adopt it as is and pass the torch on to the ontology development which has been mostly standing still last year.

Markus