[tdwg-content] Proposal to create a new DwC term for the class Individual

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Jan 23 13:38:03 CET 2010

Markus,
Thanks for your input on this.  I agree that working this out in the
ontology is important.  My major concern is the rate at which this is
likely to happen.  I had the impression that the ontology development
was being slowed by lack of resources and the progress that I've noticed
so far seems to be focused mainly on the taxonomy end.  In some sense
the ontology has been overloaded in that it must not only define the
relationships among TDWG resources/entities but also must serve as the
mechanism for typing resources that have been assigned GUIDs (assuming
that the draft GUID applicability statement or something like it is
adopted in the near future).

[For reference purposes, recommendation 11 of the draft TDWG GUID
Applicability Statement is:
"Objects in the biodiversity informatics domain that are identified by a
GUID should be typed using the TDWG ontology or other well-known
vocabularies in accordance with the TDWG common architecture."]

The adoption of GUIDs by the biodiversity community is already hampered
by the technical barriers created by the requirement that they be
actionable and that authorities must persist forever.  So GUID adoption
doesn't need any more roadblocks beyond that.  I would request that if
it is not possible to fully implement classes in the ontology that
correspond to all of the the xxxxxID terms in the Darwin Core standard,
then either create some kind of "placeholder" HTTP: URIs in the ontology
that can be used for the typing of GUIDs, or offload the role of GUID
typing from the ontology to something else (the "other well-known
vocabularies" of the recommendation).  I do not like the latter
alternative, but people are not going to wait forever to start creating
GUIDs and since recommendation 11 is a "should" statement rather than a
"must" statement, if something isn't done about this soon we will start
seeing the appearance of untyped GUIDs, which is not a good thing.

Steve Baskauf

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu