[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] Indicating living versus deceased status in Darwin Core

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:11:53 CET 2010

Jason

The GBIF Multimedia Resource Task Group (MRTG)  is shortly to begin
the process of submission to TDWG of its draft proposal for metadata
on multimedia objects and collections. Later this year GBIF expects to
support this in the Integrated Publishing Toolkit, so it might be of
particular interest to you for any of the image management in your
tools. The current draft is at
http://www.keytonature.eu/wiki/MRTG_Schema_v0.9

The TDWG standards process will present further opportunity to comment
on the proposal, but the aforementioned wiki also solicits comments
(To do so, you will need to register for that wiki to comment, but not
to view).

Bob Morris

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Jason Holmberg <holmbergius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses!
>
> If I'm understanding this correctly...should I then propose a new term as
> discussed by John?
>
> As background, we have a successful multi-user, Web-based mark-recapture
> software platform at www.whaleshark.org that we would like to open source.
> Before open sourcing it, I would like it to be as "standards-based" as
> possible. One measure of this is to use DarwinCore attributes in the
> database tables, allowing for the easy mapping of TapirLink into the db and
> therefore easier data exposure.
>
> If this group can think of other standards that it would be goods to
> support, please let me know. I would like to build interoperability directly
> into the software before releasing it, allowing adopters of the platform to
> expose data meaningfully with minimal effort.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Phillip C. Dibner <pcd at ecosystem.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Kevin Richards wrote:
>>
>>> There is probably another (external to TDWG) vocab / ontology that could
>>> handle this??
>>
>> I'm not certain at this time.  However ....
>>
>>> (which, I think, we ought to be encouraging anyway???)
>>
>> Concur.  We are falling into the realm where a generic observation model
>> would be useful.  Otherwise, we will encounter an increasing number of ad
>> hoc treatments for other attributes, without a consistent underlying
>> framework.
>>
>> May I point, as a matter of interest, to the SONet Project:
>>  https://sonet.ecoinformatics.org/
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Flip

Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science (nominally retired)
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
Associate, Harvard University Herbaria