[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid &infragenericnames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Dec 13 17:14:25 CET 2010

Van: Gregor Hagedorn [mailto:g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com]
Verzonden: ma 13-12-2010 16:57

>>  "H.3A.1.  The multiplication sign ×, indicating the hybrid nature
>>  of a taxon, should be placed so as to express that it belongs
>>  with the name or epithet but is not actually part of it. [...]
>>  should depend on what best serves readability."

> My reading of this would be that a non-breaking space, possibly
> narrower, would satisfy both this statement and correct
> typographic typesetting (which does not endorse "M. ×piperita"
> -- the multiplication sign is designed to be used with spacing).

***
Actually, it endorses anything, a full space, a half space, no space,
or whatever (with sophisticated typography, kerning, anything is
possible), as long as it is clear that the multiplication sign is
not part of the name. A character that is read by a machine as a
space, but by the eye as a not-space is perfectly OK.

I never heard of any natural or higher law that requires a
multiplication sign to be used with spacing. Here it is just a typographic character that can be used any which way, just like
most any other typographic character. The ICBN uses it without
a space, a perfectly acceptable style.

Paul