[tdwg-content] proposed term: dwc:verbatimScientificName

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Thu Dec 9 16:55:05 CET 2010

Bob,
Funny.  It starts to sound like the "Levels" that were defined in that
94 plant names publication.  They were wrangling back then with how to
format the different ways the names could occur.  We have some real
tension going on between having a minimal set of terms while enabling a
maximal variety of use cases.  I think something has to give somewhere.
The use cases are not going away.  So, maybe we need to accept a longer
set of terms.  One of them might be a "rule used" element as you
suggest.  But, that would mean the creation of the rules, definition of
controlled vocabulary and then implementation into DwC somehow.  Tall
order but it may be something lacking in DwC that is causing all these
late night emails to fly back and forth seemingly endlessly.

Chuck