[tdwg-content] dwc:associatedOccurrences

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:07:56 CEST 2010

Bob,
It seems to me that the most semantically clear way to indicate in a
machine-readable way that two herbarium sheets are duplicates would be
to assert that they have the same dwc:individualID.  individualID is
defined as "An identifier for an individual or named group of individual
organisms represented in the Occurrence" so asserting that two
occurrences represent the same individual or named group of individual
organisms pretty much exactly describes what duplicate specimens are.  I
use this same approach to indicate that
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/67307
is an image of an acorn from the same tree:
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/ind-baskauf/67304
as the bark image
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/baskauf/67312
I won't say more here as I have written more extensively on this
approach in /Biodiversity Informatics/ 7:17-44
(https://journals.ku.edu/index.php/jbi/article/view/3664).  You can also
look at the RDF associated with those GUIDs to see what I mean.  Solving
this problem is also one of the reasons I have proposed adding the class
Individual to DwC (i.e. so that the individuals that are the object of
dwc:individualID can be rdfs:type'd using a well-known vocabulary and
therefore be "understood" by linked data clients).

Steve

Bob Morris wrote:
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#associatedOccurrences   carries
> this description:
>
> associatedOccurrences
> Identifier:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/associatedOccurrences
> Class:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/Occurrence
> Definition:	A list (concatenated and separated) of identifiers of
> other Occurrence records and their associations to this Occurrence.
> Comment:	Example: "sibling of FMNH:Mammal:1234; sibling of
> FMNH:Mammal:1235". For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/Occurrence
> Details:	associatedOccurrences
>
> My questions:
> a.  Are the names of the associations, and/or the syntax of the value
> meant to be community defined?
> b. If no to a. , where are those definitions? If yes, Have any
> communities defined any names and syntax? I am especially interested
> in "duplicate of" in the case of herbarium sheets."
> c. (May share an answer with b.) Is there any use being made by anyone
> in which associatedOccurrences is designed to have machine-readable
> values.  If yes, where?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

VU Station B 351634