[tdwg-phylo] Upcoming TDWG meeting

Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Aug 29 13:27:11 CEST 2010

The mapping can get complicated. At the level of taxa, one could do a
one-to-one mapping of  TreeBASE taxa to NCBI taxa. At the level of
OTUs, the mapping may be one to many. An OTU may correspond to a
single specimen, a single sequence, or a set of sequences from
multiple individuals of the same taxon, or, indeed, a composite of
exemplar taxa representing a higher taxon. So, OTUs map onto sets of
observations.

Mapping OTUs to one or more specimen URIs would be great, if we had
these. But as a rule we don't. Most individual data providers don't
make individual specimens addressable. GBIF does, but we'd have to
assume that these were stable over time, and that we have tools in
place to map museum specimen codes to GBIF specimen URLs, and in
general we don't. This isn't a huge obstacle if GBIF were to provide
some guarantee that it's specimen URLs were stable, we'd then "just"
need some tools to convert "Museum addreviation specimen code xxx" to
a URL.

Regards

Rod