[tdwg-content] dwc:associatedOccurrences

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Mon Aug 30 10:34:44 CEST 2010

Steve,
I havent used the relations in rdf myself, but I would probably use them as primary objects on their own relating 2 dwc resources:

 xmlns:dwc="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/">

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/individual/67488#mother">
      <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ResourceRelationship" />
      <dwc:resourceID rdf:resource="http://example.org/individual/67488" />
      <dwc:relatedResourceID rdf:resource="http://example.org/individual/23327" />
      <dwc:relationshipOfResource>mother of</dwc:relationshipOfResource>
      <dwc:relationshipAccordingTo rdf:resource="http://example.org/people/woodruff-julie" />
      <dwc:relationshipEstablishedDate>2003-08-17</dwc:relationshipEstablishedDate>
      <dwc:relationshipRemarks>mother and offspring collected from the same nest</dwc:relationshipRemarks>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/individual/67488">
	<dwc:scientificName>Puma concolor (Linnaeus, 1771)</dwc:scientificName>
	<dwc:sex rdf:resource="http://rs.gbif.org/vocabulary/gbif/sex/female" />
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/individual/23327">
	<dwc:scientificName>Puma concolor (Linnaeus, 1771)</dwc:scientificName>
	<dwc:sex rdf:resource="http://rs.gbif.org/vocabulary/gbif/sex/male" />
    </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

I must say it feels strange to use the id terms in rdf to refer to rdf:resources instead of holding ID literals.
More natural to the rdf language would be <dwc:resource rdf:resource="..." /> and <dwc:relatedResource rdf:resource="..." /> I suppose, but the dwc vocabulary was built for different technologies, not rdf alone. So I guess thats the price we have to pay.

Markus