[tdwg-content] subvarieties and subformas in DwC

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Thu Apr 1 12:07:07 CEST 2010

Roger,
only up to 3 parted names can be expressed in dwc with individual terms.
But of course you can put the entire name string into the scientificName.
This is one reason why we have decided to strongly promote the use of scientificName as the main name string and not the atomised parts.
Also hybrid formulas, virus names, informal additions like cf and all the other awkward name bits cant be expressed properly as individual terms.

Markus