[tdwg-content] biostatus

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Sep 10 23:39:50 CEST 2009

Yes, I see.  It was a bit late at night.  :-)

Those properties look like a good start.  What is the plan with these "extension" properties and the Dariwn Core standard process?  Will they be included?  Are they planned to be submitted for the next round/version?

I don't particular see these as "extensions".  More like related terms and properties (probably the same thing really).  "Extension" seemed to be more relevant when we were dealing mainly with XML schemas, where they really needed to be extended.  But I think now we have taken a more modeling/ontological approach, we could just add them as additional properties under a different heading.  There is no need for an implementer of DwC2 to use ALL fields, just those that make sense for their specific use case - and I think this is where TDWG could (or will need to) have an influence - ie how a standard is applied to specific use cases.

Another thought - the locality stuff really needs to be thought through a bit more - probably has been by some subgroups in TDWG??  Ie need to tie in with other Geo standards and ontology efforts in the Geo world.  Regions, Spatial coords/params etc...  May have already been thought of, I'm not sure.

Kevin