[tdwg-content] [Fwd: Re: NCD and DwC]

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 16 20:00:02 CEST 2009

Comments inline.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 6:47 AM,  <renato at cria.org.br> wrote:
> John,
>
> If by inertia you include lack of participation, I have to agree with you.

Well, I wasn't thinking of it exactly that way, it is just that,
having been at this standards development for DwC for 11 contiguous
months, I know it isn't easy.

> Anyway, I was just trying to understand why you say that it will be a mess
> to use the fielded text solution for sharing NCD records in the current
> way the terms are identified. Looking at the DwC fielded text
> documentation (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/text/index.htm) I can
> only see two places that need to reference terms:
>
> 1) In the metafile, where each <field> element needs to reference a term
> by the complete URI. In this case, NCD URIs don't seem to be much longer
> or uglier than the other ones just because they contain a hash symbol.
>
> Considering the possibility of using NCD terms in DarwinCore, the standard
> DwC metafile already mixes namespaces because of Dublin Core terms. By the
> way, I think the example metafile is using wrong identifiers for Dublin
> Core terms:
>
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/examples/text/example_text_simpledwc_complete.xml
>
> 2) In the text file header, where people can use any field name assuming
> there's a metafile, so there's no problem here too. And if there's no
> metafile, the specification says that the text file could still be
> understood if the header references "Darwin Core terms". From the example,
> I think this means using the term name (i.e., a local identifier). I would
> suggest being more explicit in the specification saying "Darwin Core term
> names" and adding a Dublin Core term in the example to make it more
> complete.

You are absolutely right. I was actually just thinking of the Simple
Darwin Core text files with no meta file. Your clarification
suggestions are good. I have implemented them for the next version.

> Considering the possibility of using NCD terms in DarwinCore, I guess the
> corresponding term names would look like ncd:collectionID or
> ncdterms:collectionID - as defined by DarwinCore.
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure there's enough motivation or broad support from the
> community to make changes in NCD at this point. Unfortunately not all of
> its creators are involved in the discussions and I'm aware there are
> applications already written for NCD (such as the Biodiversity Collections
> Index), so there may be other implications when changing it. Please take
> my original suggestion as just an attempt to make these two TDWG standards
> complement each other. I'll still be happy with the original design for
> the collection* and institution* DarwinCore elements.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions and understanding.

John