[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usage of dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 23 20:31:20 CEST 2009

The downside is that we would have no idea what "Class" of record
(Taxon, Occurrence, Location) a record is. That was the reason for
adding dcterms:type to begin with. basisOfRecord may not be the best
name for the term we need for the record class, and it has a history
of being associated with the StillImage, PreservedSpecimen, etc.

How about we retain basisOfRecord, but have it refine dcterms:type,
drop dcterms:type and add a "recordClass" term in its place that is
governed exactly as dcterms:type is currently being used in the
recently ratified version of the Core?

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM, "Markus Döring (GBIF)"
<mdoering at gbif.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Europeana.eu, which equally uses DublinCore type in the original
>>> sense.
>>>
>>> DublinCore dcterms:type has an explicit type vocabulary:
>>>  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-type
>>> whose annotations says: "Recommended best practice is to use a
>>> controlled vocabulary such as the DCMI Type Vocabulary [DCMITYPE]."
>>> This vocabulary:
>>>  http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/
>>> defines values like StillImage, Sound, MovingImage, Text.
>>>
>>> In contrast, the DwC type vocabulary acts on an abstract level of
>>> recording occurrences that are independent of physical records. These
>>> occurrences can then be vouchered by physical resources like
>>> specimens, photos, movies, etc. The actual resources treated in
>>> DublinCore are therefore only potential vouchers for a DarwinCore
>>> resource. The terms recommended for DublinCore "type" are therefore
>>> expected in the DarwinCore "basisOfRecord" property.
>>>
>>> We do not mean to imply that there is anything wrong with the
>>> DarwinCore perspective. Unfortunately, we believe that DarwinCore
>>> cannot coexist with DublinCore data, as long as DarwinCode does not
>>> define its own dwc:type/dwc:abstractType property.
>>>
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Test case: An image showing a taxon observation shall be documented
>>> both in DarwinCore and DublinCore.
>>>
>>> DarwinCore prescribes or recommends dcterms:type=Occurrence, plus:
>>> basisOfRecord:StillImage.
>>>
>>> DublinCore recommends dcterms:type=StillImage.
>>>
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> We have internally begun to discuss possible solutions. In DublinCore,
>>> dcterms:type does not express a particular type of metadata record,
>>> but is metadata about the underlying resource. We therefore consider
>>> replacing the DwC use of dcterms:type with something in the dwc
>>> namespace, and replacing dwc:basisOfRecord with dcterms:type as an
>>> option that minimizes the necessary design changes in DwC. We can see
>>> some other issues arise that depend on how one tries to bring DwC into
>>> closer coherence with the DublinCore recommendations, but perhaps
>>> these are best put forth on a wiki.
>>>
>>> Here we would like only to point out that we believe that the values
>>> for basisOfRecord fit into the dcterm:type vocabulary. Observations
>>> (dwc:HumanObservation and dwc:MachineObservation) may be placed as
>>> subtypes of http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Event. and specimens
>>> (dwc:PreservedSpecimen, dwc:FossilSpecimen, dwc:LivingSpecimen) as
>>> subtypes of http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/PhysicalObject. For different
>>> communities, the dwc specimen types may have to be further subtyped as
>>> "Seed", "TissueSample", "DNA_Sample".
>>>
>>> However, we believe it is not possible to create a hierarchy like
>>>  "StillImage - isSubtypeOf - Image - isSubtypeOf - Occurrence"
>>> because this is a use-case dependent view: A character image may be a
>>> subtype of a taxon representation, and it may or may not be a subtype

>>> Heinrich-Seidel-Str. 2