[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usage of dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Oct 24 09:18:01 CEST 2009

In a similar vein as Bob mentioned (below), I would like to see how this
proposal would be applied to the specific case where images taken
directly of living organisms are used to document occurrences (my
original issue posted on the MRTG wiki,
http://www.keytonature.eu/wiki/MRTGv08_Type_term_inconsistent_with_DwC).
I  routinely collect this kind of image and have made the case that live
organism images can and should be used in the same way as physical
specimens to document occurrences
(http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantbiology/ncsc/vulpia/pdf/Baskauf_&_Kirchoff_Digital_Plant_Images.pdf).
Thus as occurrence records, the metadata for such images should be in
conformity with DwC as well as the media-specific MRTG schema.

In the example of a live plant image from
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/frame/oslo.htm I would
assign image record
/DwC:recordClass/ = Occurrence
/DwC:basisOfRecord/ = StillImage
/dcterms:type/ = StillImage
/mrtg:subtype/ = Photograph
[Note that DwC:basisOfRecord is not synonymous with mrtg:subtype as it
currently stands.  Would it have to be under John's proposal?]

In the example of an image of an herbarium sheet shown at
http://www.morphbank.net/Show/?pop=Yes&id=142009 I would assign the
record for the herbarium sheet itself:
/DwC:recordClass/ = Occurrence
/DwC:basisOfRecord/ = PreservedSpecimen
/dcterms:type/ = PhysicalObject

and for the record of the specimen image:
/DwC:recordClass/ = Occurrence
/DwC:basisOfRecord/ = StillImage
/dcterms:type/ = StillImage
/mrtg:subtype/ = Photograph

Is this the idea?  Again, I note that it is not particularly useful in
this situation to consider /basisOfRecord/ a subtype of /dcterms:type/
as they have the same value for the images.

Steve Baskauf

VU Station B 351634

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu