[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 10:57:02 CET 2009

With respect to the discussion of subclasses: the new recordType is on
a different level than the resource types. We should not mix the
information that something can be usefully interpreted as a Occurrence
or Taxon concept with the type of resource that vouchers for this
information.

Thus, while I think recordType is a DarwinCore categorization of
intent, not resource, and is fine, I still feel that the basisOfRecord
vocabulary is a subtyping of resource types.

I therefore believe that it would make life simpler for many consumers
of DwC if DwC would adopt DublinCore type for its own purposes.
Instead of having basisOfRecord =
  PreservedSpecimen
  FossilSpecimen
  LivingSpecimen
  HumanObservation
  MachineObservation
  StillImage
  MovingImage
  Sound
  NomenclaturalChecklist

DarwinCore would first use the DublinCore vocabulary: dcterms:type=
  StillImage
  MovingImage
  Sound
  Event
  Text

and then use dwc:subtype=
  PreservedSpecimen
  FossilSpecimen
  LivingSpecimen
  HumanObservation
  MachineObservation
  NomenclaturalChecklist

for those subtypes of dcterms:type that DarwinCore cares about to
specify further. This would allow consumers to directly map DwC
records into their DublinCore metadata, rather than analysing the
implied hierarchy and mapping in the flattened basisOfRecord.

Gregor