[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:09:23 CET 2009

My feeling is that in its present form MRTG doesn't mean to directly
support all the concerns expressable in
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/RecordLevelTerms#basisOfRecord
(other than those we've already agreed belong in dc:type). Instead,
in its "Content Category Vocabulary" MRTG provides a mechanism
"CVTerm"  to identify and use other communities' controlled
vocabularies to describe the content.  Thus, if I had an image of a
PreservedSpecimen, and wanted to signal that in MRTG metadata, I
believe our recommendation would be to use something like the
informally stated
   CVterm = dwc:PreservedSpecimen

The exact representation must depend on the MRTG implementation
language, e.g. RDF or XML Schema, and whether there actually is a DwC
URI dwc:PreservedSpecimen, or whether PerservedSpecimen is just a
favored literal in DwC...something which I can't quite tell at the
moment. A secondary, but important, rationale is the anecdotal
evidence that many existing biodiversity image stores already try to
use DwC terms, and we want it to be easy to reuse those in MRTG in
many cases.

>>>From MRTG's point of view, I think the real discussion is the original
one: get dc:type consistent across MRTG, DwC and DC. The rest of the
discussion probably doesn't impact MRTG very directly, except that
MRTG has to track the fallout and chime  in two places: (a) where we
have used another DwC term that was consistent with DwC before but
becomes inconsistent after the DwC revision and (b)where expertise of
MRTG contributors smells DwC usage problems. I suspect (a) is minimal.
 Happily for me, my expertise probably doesn't cover (b), but Gregor
and Steve seem to be chiming just fine.  :-)

Bob

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM, John R. WIECZOREK <tuco at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>> longistylis plant in the woods and my digital camera records the time and
>> GPS coordinates, then those metadata indicate that Osmorhiza longistylis
>> occurred in that woods on the day that I took the image.  On the other hand,
>> if I take an image of a PreservedSpecimen of Osmorhiza longistylis in an
>> herbarium and my camera records the same information, it would not be
>> appropriate to use those time and location metadata to put a dot on the
>> Osmorhiza longistylis distribution map at the location of the herbarium.
>> Rather, the time and location metadata for the collection of the
>> PreservedSpecimen should be used to place the dot.  I still need to record
>> the time and place where the specimen image was taken, I just don't want for
>> it to represent an occurrence.  That is why it bothers me to classify a
>> StillImage of a PreservedSpecimen as a recordType=Occurrence.  My suggestion
>> of the term "DerivativeResource" was an attempt to divorce the USE of the
>> image (to document a valid occurrence or not) from what the thing IS (a
>> representation that was derived directly or indirectly from an organism).
>> Calling such representations something other than "Occurrence" gets us away
>> from the issue raised by Gregor and Bob where there are many possible uses
>> for a resource.  When I take live plant images, I consciously intend for
>> them to be used simultaneously to record an occurrence, illustrate
>> characters, and be used for media tools such as visual keys and visual
>> recognition software, not just to document an occurrence.
>>
>> I should also note that although this problem is widespread for images, it
>> can also apply to physical resources as well.  A PreservedSpecimen taken
>> from a wild-collected plant growing in a botanical garden or animal in a zoo
>> (i.e. from a LivingSpecimen) has the same problem.  Both would provide
>> useful information for identifying the organism but in neither case would
>> the PreservedSpecimen collection time and location represent a valid
>> occurrence that should used to put a dot on a map.  The collection time and
>> location for the LivingSpecimen would be the metadata to use to place the
>> dot (i.e. valid occurrence).
>>
>> Because DwC has traditionally been applied primarily to preserved specimens
>> which usually represent valid species occurrences, this may not have been a
>> very important issue, but for people like me who want to apply DwC to images
>> it is a big deal.
>>
>> Steve Baskauf
>>
>> --
>> Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
>> Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences
>>
>> postal mail address:
>> VU Station B 351634
>> Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.
>>
>> delivery address:
>> 2125 Stevenson Center
>> 1161 21st Ave., S.
>> Nashville, TN 37235
>>
>> office: 2128 Stevenson Center
>> phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707

Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science (nominally retired)
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
Associate, Harvard University Herberia