[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 26 07:15:38 CET 2009

Comments inline.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Gregor Hagedorn
<g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/25 John R. WIECZOREK <tuco at berkeley.edu>:
>> Can you explain the difference between your new term dwc:subtype and
>> the term dwc:basisOfRecord most recently proposed in this thread?
>
>> I see no difference bewteen your dwc:subtype and the proposed
>> dwc:basisOfRecord except the name. The term basisOfRecord has been
>> used for this purpose in Darwin Core since 13 Jun 2003. I think
>> precedence should prevail.
>
> Please see my slight preference for the word "subtype" over
> "basisOfRecord" as a secondary question.
>
> The essence is that I propose to use DublinCore (precendence since
> 1995 and extremely widely adapted) where it applies.

Agreed.

> basisOfRecord is a mixture of DublinCore type terms, and subtypes of
> DublinCore terms. In the latter case DwC omits the applicable
> DublinCore resource type vocabulary.

I think you missed some messages in the thread. What you say above is
true of the Darwin Core as published (basisOfRecord has StillImage,
MovingImage, and Sound among the recommendations), but I proposed a
solution (24 Oct 11:29AM) in which there is no mixing. What is "the
latter case" to which you refer - subtypes of Dublin Core terms
defined by Darwin Core? If so, you're correct, Darwin Core recommends
a vocabulary of literals, not refinements of Dublin Core Type
vocabulary (see my commentary in this thread 24 Oct 11:57PM, beginning
with "The following may be confusing...").

> Thus any DC-aware consumer of the data has to do both a mapping of
> dwc:StillImage to http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage  and imply
> that the resource quoted throuh PreservedSpecimen, FossilSpecimen,
> LivingSpecimen is a http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/PhysicalObject, that a
> HumanObservation or  MachineObservation must be
> http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Event, and   NomenclaturalChecklist a
> http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text.

Again, there would be no dwc:StillImage. Instead dcmitype:StillImage
would be a possible value for dcterms:type. There would be no formal
declaration of the string literal vocabulary of basisOfRecord, and no
refinements of DCMI Type vocabulary for them.

I really think the answer (well, my answer) to your concerns is in
that paragraph about "The following may be confusing...", which I'll
repeat here for convenience.  If I haven't understood your concern,
please let me know. If you think I did understand it but you don't
like my response (encapsulated below), please propose an alternative.

Thanks,

John