[tdwg-content] DarwinCore 1.4 & 'lots'

Kehan Harman kehanharman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:41:17 CET 2009

Dear All,
Markus has asked me to pass this on to this shiny new mailing list as
it's the list that's designed for this kind of query. I'm working as
part of the Scratchpads project (http://scratchpads.eu) and we're
wanting to update our specimen module which is currently based on
DarwinCore 1.2.1. We'd like to be able to support the concept of
'lots' within this module and were wondering whether DarwinCore and/or
the curatorial extensions for it (or ABCD for that matter) support
this.  A 'lot' is for example a jar of  specimens of n number of
species, and this is often the lowest level to which specimens get
curated. I'm pretty sure this is taken into account by DarwinCore but
just wanted to find out if you know the mapping for this. Markus
indicated that with DwC it would only support one name per record. I
know that people on this list will have had to deal with this at the
application level so maybe you could share how you've done it within
your institutions.

thanks
Kehan Harman