[tdwg-content] Public Review of the Darwin Core 'standard'

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Mon Jul 13 02:05:21 CEST 2009

I'm not sure if this is my misunderstanding of RDF and ontologies, so correct me if I am wrong...

I noticed that the http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/geoReferencedBy property has domain http://purl.org/dc/terms/Location.
Is this the standard way of working with Dublin Core?
I would have though it would be better to define a "common" person/agent type property (or better still reuse FOAF or DC Agent types - http://purl.org/dc/terms/Agent).  This property has no range and can therefore be applied to any RDF class/element.  This would remove the need for repetitive elements that refer to Agent type properties, eg geoReferenceBy, identifiedBy, measurementDeterminedBy, etc.

This was part of the intention of the TDWG Common Vocab. (http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/Common.rdf), which brings me to my next question - how do the DwC terms relate to the TDWG ontology? - do we need a "mapping" to them?  I suppose, because the DwC ontology needs to be ratified as a standard, it can't really rely on an un-ratified ontology - but it would be good to specify how the two should work together, or map to each other.

Otherwise I think this is looking excellent - a fantastic step towards an overarching ontology for TDWG data objects.

Kevin