[tdwg-phylo] Welcome

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:42:10 CET 2009

Hi Everyone,

it's been a while since the TDWG Meeting and workshop in Perth. Many
of you on this list have participated in the workshop, and it was
great to meet you there. I found the workshop to be productive and
very encouraging towards forming this Interest Group in a way that has
unique value.

You may have noticed that we have our own TDWG wiki site at

http://wiki.tdwg.org/Phylogenetics/

You can navigate there easily manually by going to the TDWG home page (http://tdwg.org
), then click 'Wiki' in the left hand navigation bar, then
'Phylogenetics'.

I've put up already last year some minimal initial content about what
we are about, and I also put up information about and notes from our
Perth workshop:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/Phylogenetics/PhylogeneticsStandardsWorkshop

While there hasn't been much activity since on the charter and the
BioSynC proposal due to the I guess all too familiar year-end frenzy,
this will change over the next few months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you
in the loop. Also, this is meant to be a discussion much more than an
announcement forum, so if you have any suggestions, concerns, or
thoughts, please don't hesitate to voice them here.

Speaking of keeping in the loop, I'll shortly forward a call for
participation in a NESCent-organized event that is very closely
aligned with the phylogenetics standards and targeted at the
interoperability issues we were talking about in Perth.

As for Markus' email, I don't know to what extent you have been part
of the respective discussion but I wasn't. While I see the possible
benefits of better avoiding the reinventing the wheel, I find the
question of merging with another and much larger community when we
aren't one really yet a bit premature, and I am concerned that the
loss of focus might cause some to tune out or ignore the list (more
than they might otherwise), which I find the much bigger risk than
reinventing as the latter can be prevented by cross-talk and
subscribing to multiple lists (which I'm used to, but again maybe not
everyone is).

That's just my opinion though - please don't hesitate to voice yours,
especially if you feel differently.

Cheers,

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :