[tdwg-phylo] Phyloinformatics Summer of Code 2009

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Fri Feb 27 07:03:17 CET 2009

Hi all:

NESCent is getting ready for participating in the 2009 Google Summer of
Code. The skeleton for the project ideas page, along with a template
for project ideas, is online:

http://hackathon.nescent.org/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2009

A big part of the strength of our application as a participating
organization comes from our project ideas and a diverse roster of
primary and secondary mentors. If you have an idea for carving out a
summer programming project for a student, and/or can fancy yourself
mentoring a student, or are simply enthusiastic about helping out, for
example as a backup mentor, please let me know, and I will send you a
summary of how the Summer of Code program works in principle, as well
as guidelines for how to become a mentor for us or help out in other
ways.

For comparison purposes, previous years' ideas pages are here:
http://hackathon.nescent.org/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2008
http://hackathon.nescent.org/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2007

As for supporting standards within the program, last year for example
one of the funded projects was on phyloXML support in BioPerl.

Cheers,

	-hilmar