[tdwg-content] dwc: city to county

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 18 22:31:31 CEST 2009

Hi Gregor,

It is indeed practical to have ids for very specific localities, not
just higher geographic features. But I think you misunderstood me. The
localityID can apply to any level of granularity, but it should always
be the id for the whole of the Location, not some arbitrary part of
it, such as the stateProvince in one case and country in another.

In other words, if a country, stateProvince, and county were given
with a localityID, that localityID should apply to the combination of
 the three (in other words, the county, within that stateProvince
within that country). If a locality were also given, then the id
shoould be for that locality within that county within that
stateProvince within that country. The id could even apply to
individual georeferences within named places.

John