[Biogeosdi] Re: itineraries in openmodeller

Meganck Bart bart.meganck at africamuseum.be
Mon May 7 10:06:56 CEST 2007

Hi Tim,

A new week and the rain has started again... time for :

Some paragraphs on itinerary modelling

With itineraries, we want to retrace the actual expedition route as
accurately as possible. For this, we want to make use of all possible
data sources, the first of which are of course the georeferenced
specimen records (such as come from GBIF et al.).

Besides that, we are also looking for other information sources, for
example field notes, old maps and the like.
When properly encoded in some system of "boundaries", these extra
information sources create a set of restrictions that can be used for
quality control on the data. For example : if a point by its lat/lon
values looks like an outlier of the general set, we could find clues in
the other information sources about what is going on. Either some
indication that, yes, the point is correct (e.g. its field number fits
perfectly in the field number series) or some proof that, indeed, the
point is incorrect (e.g. some notes about the camping sites, proving
that the expedition was not near that place at the time).

Both the data set (points) and the "info set" are fed into the modeller
tool, and two outputs are generated : 1/ a judgement about the points in
the data set (+ visualisation, indication of faulty points) and 2/ a new
"info set", if the points yielded some new information to be used in the
future.

So, it would be a system that grows in knowledge as more data sets are
processed, and more extra information is encoded.

In a first stage though, we'll be mostly looking at the internal
coherence in the data set points - and that would make the process more
"mainstream" and "OM-ready".
Later on, the process will add more "semantics" to the geospatial
aspect, and I don't see very clear yet how that would fit into OM.

The temporal aspect will, however, play a very important part from the
beginning - an it's great news that OM will incorporate this.
Have you seen the Mapbuilder timeseries demo :

http://geoservices.cgdi.ca/mapbuilder/demo/timeSeries/index.html

Basically, they perform as many WMS-requests as there are "time slices"
on the WMS-server, then store the result and display one after the other
in an animation.

Best regards,

Bart.

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 22:43 -0300, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes a couple of paragraphs of your ideas for itinerary modelling would
> probably make your requirements a bit clearer. Currently the
> openModeller library has no in built support for temporal analysis. In
> a future release of openModeller Desktop, I will add support for
> projection of niche models into multiple 'time slices' and producing
> an animation of the result. Typically we would use this when
> predicting changes in distribution in future climate scenarios.
>
> PS I dont know if I mentioned the new linux binary thats available
> with the 1.0.5 release of openModeller.
>
> Regardsbiogeosdi at lists.tdwg.org
>
> Tim
>
> 2007/5/4, Meganck Bart <bart.meganck at africamuseum.be>:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > > * could OM take in data layers other than environmental data ?
> > > >

> > > It can use pretty much any raster layer - what did you have in mind?
> >
> > Well, it would be a bit more difficult than just a raster layer :
> > in fact, we try to gather extra information from the data as we
process
> > it, so there
> > would have to be some kind of (temporary) storage.
> >
> > Also, the data would be more time-oriented, not only spatially (as
rasters
> > are).
> > I don't know if that would be feasible for OM - and if I'm expressing
> > myself clearly
> > here... ;-)
> >
> > Perhaps I'll make a short text with some explanation of what exactly
> > we would try to do ?
> >
> > best regards,
> >
> > Bart.
> >

> > On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 13:21 -0300, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > > Hi Bart!

> > the

> > part.
> > > >

> > > Cool it would be great to include itineray support.

OM ?

Email : bart.meganck at africamuseum.be