[Biogeosdi] Re: [tdwg_geoplayground] some PHP snippets for Catalogue of Life

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 27 17:03:05 CEST 2007

Hi Bart

Cool stuff. Before I reply I should point out that you are still
mailing to the old, yahoo spammy, mailing list. We got an official
tdwg list which is the one you should use from now on:

biogeosdi at lists.tdwg.org

> Hi,
>
>  After our IRC chat about the Campinas workshop, I've been trying to
>  extract data from the Catalogue of Life. I din't find any documentation
>  or API, nor a web-service of the "WMS" type (i.e. a GET request and an
>  XML response), so I started playing around a bit with some PHP coding,
>  and I've come up with :

Ed Donavan wrote a web service around CoL - but where / if there is
any documentation for this I dont know.

>  curl_from_CoL.php : performs a cURL query on CoL, puts the results into
>  a local tab-separated outputfile. The fields of the (GET) request are
>  hardcoded for now, could be parametrised (is that a word ?) very easy.

Parameterised works for me :-)

>  parse_CoL_output.php : reads in the tab-separated file from the CoL
>  request, writes out the taxonomic ranks we're interested in (e.g. all
>  valid names at species level) - again, the filter settings would be very
>  easy to parametrise...

Cool stuff. Javier and I will have a play with it in our pre hackfest
hackfest! :-)

Perhaps you could attach these files to the wiki too if you havent
already done so so that we can keep all the useful code snippets in
one place.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton