[Biogeosdi] Engines are starting!

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 04:14:02 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Cheers from Campinas! I arrived yesterday and had already my first
swim at the hotel swimming pool :) Here is HOT, really HOT. I saw
yesterday at 14:00 a thermometer claiming it was 35 celsius degrees,
so be prepare. Apart of this I have to say that the food is
wonderful, people is nice, the hotel is fine and with internet and
CRIA is a nice office where I am sure we will have fun.

But I haven't been just eating and swimming today! Jeje. I have been
all day working with Tim to prepare stuff and I have to say we have
been quite productive, hopefully we will continue the same tomorrow.
Tim has prepared a development server for us with Ubuntu where we
have installed things like Geoserver for WMS,WCS and WFS. He also
have set up the basic project layout for svn (using the one provided
by Dave). Meanwhile I have started mocking up the interface of the
web app that we discussed we want to build, and we have gone quite
far already :) You can take a look at the screenshots we took at:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/Geospatial/MockupScreenShots

All the source code is already in subversion if you wanna take a look
(trac has an svn browser). Tomorrow we will probably start making
them more real than they are today by getting already some data via
web services. Maybe we are done before you come and we can all go on
holidays on Monday :D Not really, there is a lot of nice ideas
floating in our minds for merging more and more standards into the
prototype.

Ah! and because there has not been any suggestions we are starting to
use Acacias as the test data (please bring more ideas!).

I hope you are all fine and we are waiting for you to be around here.

Cheers,

Javier.

PD:
By the way! I took the suggested bus and I have to say is more
comfortable than a taxi! The bus is fully air conditioned, with big
seats (really big), the people are very quit... I really really
recommend you to pick up the bus.