[Biogeosdi] Campinas workshop demo site roundup

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:23:48 CEST 2007

Hi Bart,

> Still some things are not yet clear to me :
>
> there are 3 possible types of occurrence sources :
>
> * GBIF
> * WFS
> * TAPIR
>
> Can somebody (backend team) tell me if for each of these sources a
> local
> (CRIA) WMS/WFS layer is made  ?

Yes... Every time a getOccurrences method is called (with the source
parameter set to gbif,wfs or tapir, see the docs) the data is
collected from the source and puss to the dataProcessing service
that, among other things, create a layer as you want.

> If yes, where can I obtain the name of that layer ? It doesn't seem to
> come in the report/occurrences result object that we (frontend team)
> parse for finding the occurrences and GML and such...

In the report you get back there is an element called "datasetId"
that is the FeatureType of the newly created dataset. The OGC web
service end point (WMS/WFS/WCS) is found under the element "OWSurl".
So therefore to generate a WMS requets for this dataset you would do
something like:

{$OWSurl}wms?bbox=-180,90,180,90&SLD=someSLDsomehwhere&Format=image/
png&request=GetMap&layers=world_base,world_lb,world_adm0,{$datasetId}
&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326

You have to use an SLD document stored somehwere else, if you want to
register the SLD within the geoserver at the server then you can give
it to me and it will become available locally there. You see that
apart of the dataset, the layer you talk about, I included some other
layers already existing in the server so that the map does not look
empty with only the dots, but if you want only the dots to overlay it
with something else you can just remove them.

In the report there are some examples (actually this is from where I
got this)

I know the whole thing about the DPS is complicate, tell Dave!!, but
I really dont know any other way... There is no OGC oficial way of
pussing data to a server and create a new layer with it, all I have
found is hacks like this DPS. So in general I would say that OGC
lacks of a standard to create mapping service, somewhere where you
can send points in XML and get back an image... anybody that knows
something about this please enlighten me.

(I know a way trough SLD but is actually even more hacky and not
enough flexible for what we want).

Cheers.