[Biogeosdi] preparations CRIA workshop - RMCA input

Meganck Bart bart.meganck at africamuseum.be
Mon Feb 19 11:23:01 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've been following the mails about the CRIA workshop
 and I thought I'll just throw in my 2 cents...

As I haven't met most of the participants yet,
 perhaps I'll situate our RMCA background for the participation :

 We're currently working on the online visualisation of "itineraries".

http://synthesys.africamuseum.be/ and
http://www.biocase.org/products/geo_services/itineraries/index.shtml

give more information, but the basic idea is this : we provide a portal
were any scientist can upload some georeferenced data ( her own data or
data from an online service query ). The data are temporarily stored and
analysed, to see if we can retrace an expedition's traveling route from
the specimen positions and harvest dates. The possible routes are then
visualised, with possibility for interaction. The tool is meant for data
quality control.

The link with the workshop will be clear : for import of the data, we
want to be able to connect to any online data provider, regardless of
protocol or data schema : an interoperability question, indeed !

Our input for the workshop could be :

* NOT in the Python coding section : as I haven't used Python before,
 I'll leave that to the people who are proficient at it.

* in the web interface group(s) - HTML and CSS is not much of a problem

* in the documentation/reporting section : I would actually gladly
volunteer for this ;-)

* in the high-level architecture design

* in the WMS/WFS/... part, as we have our own (DeeGree) system up
   and running here

Two more practical questions to end with :

1/ are we supposed to bring our own laptop ? What is the voltage served
    in Brasil ( 127 V ?? ) - I'd hate to fry my computer...

2/ are we supposed to be able to edit the WorkshopAssumptions section
   of the Wiki, or is that part moderated/administrated ? I can log on
the the TDWG homepage without a problem, but further down I get "user
unknown" errors...

Best regards, looking forward to meeting you soon,

--
Bart Meganck,

ICT & GIS engineer,
African Zoology Department.

Royal Museum for Central Africa,
Leuvensesteenweg 13,
B-3080 Tervuren,
Belgium.

Tel : +32(0)2 769 56 92
Fax : +32(0)2 767 02 42
Email : bart.meganck at africamuseum.be
Website : www.africamuseum.be

This message has been scanned by ICT - Africa Museum