[tdwg-ncd] RE: NCD toolkit

Neil Thomson N.Thomson at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 11:16:58 CEST 2007

Hi Ruud,

Many thanks for providing the URL to the test site - don't worry about its looks, we are all aware that the functionality needs to be in place first.

For your questions below:

  - We decided to drop <PercentageDatabased> as being an unhelpful element. It is one that would need constant updating, which we thought would not happen. The URLs in the Related Materials Group could alert a user to the fact that a database exists and could then go direct to it. As to EAD, Barabara Mathé at the AMNH has prepared a mapping between EAD and NCD which you may find helpful once it reaches its final form.

  - Yes, this approach sounds good. I did try to put some dummy data into the test site, but I got thrown out with an SQL error. No matter, having an organisation and a person as a precursor to a collection description sounds perfectly reasonable and is similar to the approach taken by NoDIT.

  - Yes, the lists will be in English, but we could may get other European language equivalents from GEMET? One for use to discuss with Roger.

  - There may be more than one agent per site that will be creating and editing records. At my own place there may be a dozen or more authors.

Perhaps we should have an "open issues" page on the TDWG wiki, otherwise it is going to become difficult to keep track of queries, responses and decisions on emails?

All best wishes,
Neil