[Tdwg-obs] observation definition / moving forward

Lynn Kutner Lynn_Kutner at natureserve.org
Mon Jan 30 23:41:27 CET 2006

A belated happy new years to all!

It's been quite awhile since the last post to the TDWG-observations
list, so I have included at the bottom the previous message as a
reminder of where we are in the discussion about a working definition
for "observation".

In the interim, I discussed directly with Steve a minor edit to make the
wording in the second sentence of the observation definition plural.
Steve liked this edit, so we propose the following as our working
definition for the observation subgroup:

"An observation characterizes the occurrence of an organism or set of
organisms through a data collection event at a location. Observations
are not necessarily independent entities and could be linked via
characteristics such as time, place, protocol, and co-occurring
organisms."

As a next step, we propose to develop more fully the definitions for the
following words or phrases. As we we work through these definitions,
please keep in mind addressing the issues that have been raised
regarding topics such as: negative data, protocol, spatial temporal
issues, and data aggregation.

        occurrence

        data collection event

        location

        entity

        could be linked

We thought it best to start with fleshing out the definition for
"occurrence" since that seems to be fundamental. I did some searching
for existing definitions of "occurrence" in a biological context and it
seems to most often be a word that is used with the assumption that
everybody is working from a common frame of reference.

The following is from:

Chapman, A. D. 2005. Principles of Data Quality, version 1.0. Report for
the Global Biodiversity Information Facility, Copenhagen.

(http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/data_quality)

Species-occurrence data

Species-occurrence data is used here to include specimen label data
attached to specimens or lots housed in museums and herbaria,
observational data and environmental survey data. In general, the data
are what we term "point-based", although line (transect data from
environmental surveys, collections along a river), polygon (observations
from within a defined area such as a national park) and grid data
(observations or survey records from a regular grid) are also included.
In general we are talking about georeferenced data - i.e. records with
geographic references that tie them to a particular place in space -
whether with a georeferenced coordinate (e.g. latitude and longitude,
UTM) or not (textual description of a locality, altitude, depth) - and
time (date, time of day). In general the data are also tied to a
taxonomic name, but unidentified collections may also be included. The
term has occasionally been used interchangeably with the term "primary
species data".

Primary species data

"Primary species data" is used to describe raw collection data and data
without any spatial attributes. It includes taxonomic and nomenclatural
data without spatial attributes, such as names, taxa and taxonomic
concepts without associated geographic references.

*****

Thoughts or suggestions on a working definition of "occurrence" for this
subgroup?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Lynn

Lynn Kutner
Data Management Coordinator, NatureServe
Email:    lynn_kutner at natureserve.org
Phone:   (303) 541-0360
www.natureserve.org