[Tdwg-lit] Level 1

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Feb 10 00:50:04 CET 2006

> Note that here I gave the same GUID to all three representations of
> the single publication. It implies that the GUID is ID for the
> literature object, not for (meta) data objects.  If we need
> GUID for data objects also, we would need two types ofGUID.

I would encourage everyone to have a look at the report from the recent
TDWG/GBIF Workshop on GUIDs:

http://wiki.gbif.org/guidwiki/wikka.php?wakka=GUID1Report

One of the outcomes of this workshop was the need to clarify the distinction
between GUIDs assigned to data objecs, vs. GUIDs assigned to conceptual
entities.  I was a member of a breakout group that discussed this
distinction, and we were tasked with creating a page or set of pages on the
Wiki to clarify this distinction -- particularly in the context of LSIDs
(the GUID technology which seemed to be strongly preferred by the workshop
participants). It's a subtle distinction with very significant implications
(it's also a topic muddled with unfortunate semantics). Our breakout group
concluded that GUIDs for conceptual entities serve an important role in
biodiversity informatics, if for nothing else than to serve as a "hub"
around which multiple data-object GUIDs may cross-reference each other.

So...James...in your example, there would probably be multiple data-object
GUIDs for the different digital "renderings"; and perhaps a separate
data-less GUID assigned to the the "concept" of the specific publication
instance, to which all of the alternative data-GUIDs may be "hubbed".

This group should also take note of point 5 under the "Work plan" section of
the Workshop Report, regarding the need for a sort of "Publication Bank".

> I meant ISO dates only for "date published (as corrected)".
> I agree with you date issue; in Level 1, date published as cited
> should be as is, shouldn't be interpreted.

But wouldn't we also want the "corrected" (="interpreted") date (or date
range) to be among the attributes -- even at level 1?  If for no other
reason than estimating chronology?

Aloha,
Rich